My sister--who is the only person I know who has successfully gotten a car dealer to bend to her will--says I need to get a car with a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. I know Hyundai has those (and of course, my car which is a Hyundai is a year too old to have that!) but I kinda wanted to get away from the Hyundai. I have a 1998 Tiburon FX right now, and it's absolutely shit on winter roads, and I feel like I'm Sam Winchester stuffed in a clown car when I drive it (my head hits the roof!) And Hyundai is the only car I know of with that huge of a warranty.
I was looking at a Mazda6, but those only have the 5 year/60,000 warranty. But I like the look of that car, so I'm shooting for something like that.
So....help! I figure some of ya'll must have more experience in car shopping than me!
Here are some things I want:
1. Between $15,000 and $20,000. Because I want to walk in with my $12,000 and get approved for a loan and *not* have a $400 car payment for the next 5 years. I'd like to ideally only have to finance the remainder for 36 months or less.
2. It needs to have 4 doors. Not that I haul a lot of passengers, but it's nice if it happens. And I'm kind of sick of a 2 door hatchback.
3. As many safety features as you can cram in, including traction control. Especially that--I am a terrible winter driver.
4. Decent gas mileage.
5. Some personality. No bland boxes, please.
6. Reliable. I'm just getting out of a tempermental car (did I mention I've not had turn signals or windshield wipers for two months?) and am not looking for another drama queen!
ETA: I really wanted a Prius, but I can't seem to find any around here!